It’s exciting and maybe a little bit scary but it’s true, 2018 will be here soon.
Thinking about taking on a New Year’s resolution or two?
Here are 50 ideas to get you started on self improvement in the new year – one small step at a time.
2018 New Year’s Resolution Ideas
1. Drink MORE Water.
2. Move more! Sit Less, start daily walks, bike rides or running.
3. Explore & Travel more. Take camping trips, visit the next town over, go to National Parks.
There are a lot of opportunities to visit for free!
4. Volunteer more. Spend time or money improving the community.
5. Send more handwritten letters.
6. Call mom/siblings/grandparents more.
Be the one who makes the first move.
7. Pick a time to wake up.
Get up a few minutes earlier everyday until you reach the goal. Only hit the snooze button twice.
8. Live simply, only buy what is needed.
9. Prioritize breakfast.
Make sure to eat all your meals!
10. Turn on music instead of the TV.
It’s less distracting and more motivating.
11. Remember your goals and the big picture.
12. Try something new:
Yoga, baking, DIY projects, meditation (try guided YouTube videos) or art classes – the list goes on and on.
13. Floss your teeth daily.
14. Quit one bad habit:
It could be nail biting, smoking, eating out of boredom, etc.
15. Go to bed on time.
Don’t lay in bed browsing on your phone forever.
16. Take time for self care.
Do something nice for yourself once a week; read your favorite book, take a long bath, get your nails done, etc.
17. Go skydiving!
It’s not as expensive as you may think. Prices start around $200 or less.
18. Clean out your email inbox.
Unsubscribe to emails you don’t read.
19. Take a full day off from social media once a month.
20. Slow down while eating, savor each bite.
21. Make your coffee at home & save money.
Don’t forget to treat yourself to a special coffee occasionally, too.
22. Clean out your closet.
Donate or sell what you don’t wear.
23. Try Meatless Mondays.
24. Go to local, live music concerts.
25. Swap soda or other sugary drinks for tea.
26. Try a fitness class;
Water aerobics, spinning, Pilates, hip hop, belly dancing, etc.
27. Learn a new language on a free app like Duolingo.
28. Do a little act of kindness daily;
Pay for the person behind you in the drive thru, pay for an expired parking meter, pick up a piece of trash on the ground, etc.
29. Keep a notepad next to your bed for ideas that come to you at night.
30. Start your morning with a stretching routine.
31. Find a workout buddy.
32. Keep a jar of things you are grateful for during the year.
33. Check out your local farmers and flea markets.
34. Double the time you spend outside.
35. Always use sunscreen, even when it’s cloudy.
36. Keep a bag of essential supplies in your car;
Jumper cables, non-perishable snacks, phone charger, a blanket, band-aids, sunscreen, etc.
Get out all the crumbs and wipe off food stains.
38. Organize your photos.
Delete duplicates and put them in folders for events, years, months, etc. Make them easy to search for.
39. Delete apps on your phone that you don’t use.
Put similar apps or ones used often near each other.
40. Put your phone away an hour before bed.
41. Watch more documentaries.
43. Complete one money saving challenge.
44. Send thank-you cards.
The Dollar Store is great place to get them.
45. Lower your daily sugar intake.
46. Read at least one book a month.
Books are really cheap at Thriftbooks.com and shipping is only $1.00 (or free on orders over $10)!
When was the last time you went to the doctor?
48. Make an emergency kit.
Try this easy-to-make 5 gallon bucket kit.
49. Balance your check book (debit account) daily.
Don’t let your spending get out of hand and spoil your budget. Make keeping track of your finances easy with one of my free budget worksheets.
50. Keep track of your eating habits or ANY good habits;
Do you make New Years resolutions? Let’s talk about it in the comments below.